By: Chris Lara
Los Angeles, CA (April 24th, 2017) – Season 24 of Dancing with the Stars premiered on March 20th at 8 PM. The stars were revealed about a month ago on ABC’s Good Morning America.
When it comes to Dancing with the Stars, athletes have generally performed well on the show and this season there is no reason things should be any different. Last season, gymnast Laurie Hernandez swept all her competition away and this year, her popular betting favorite, teammate, American artistic gymnast, Simone Biles is on the show to showcase her incredible talents.
Simone Biles’ career highlights include such notable accomplishments as:
- Being an Olympic Gold medalist in vault, floor, Individual and Team All-Around.
- A Bronze medalist on Beam at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Winning the All-Around by a 2.1 margin of victory, larger than the margins of victory from 1980-2012 combined.
- Being the first woman gymnast to win three consecutive World All-Around titles.
- Most World Championship gold medals won by a female gymnast in history at 10 gold medals.
- Most decorated World Championship American gymnast with 14 total medals (10 gold, two silver, two bronze).
- The first woman to capture four gold medals at a single World Championships (2014 & 2015) since the Soviet Union’s Ludmilla Tourischeva in 1974.
- The first female African-American all-around world champion, undefeated in the all-around competition since 2013.
- The First American woman in 23 years to win three all-around national titles, honored as the 2014 Women’s Sports Foundation’s “Sportswoman of the Year,” and named Olympic Athlete of the Year by the USOC 2015.
- The first American female gymnast chosen by Team USA to be the flag bearer for the closing ceremonies.
This season, females are favored to win the desired Mirrorball trophy. Nonetheless, it is still up for grabs.
Other celebrities and athletes among the contestants include: “SNL” comedian Chris Kattan, “The A-Team” star Mr. T, “Glee” alum Heather Morris and NFL player Rashad Jennings.
Here’s the full list of the “DWTS” Season 24 celebrities and their pro partners:
- Bonner Bolton with Sharna Burgess
- Charo with Keo Motsepe
- Chris Kattan with Witney Carson
- David Ross with Lindsay Arnold
- Erika Jayne with Gleb Savchenko
- Heather Morris with Maksim Chmerkovskiy
- Mr. T with Kym Herjavec
- Nancy Kerrigan with Artem Chigvintsev
- Nick Viall with Peta Murgatroyd
- Normani Kordei with Valentin Chmerkovskiy
- Rashad Jennings with Emma Slater
- Simone Biles with Sasha Farber
Season 24 of Dancing With the Stars is hosted by Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews. Judges are Bruno Toniolo, Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman and former “DWTS” pro Julianne Hough.
Here is a look at the DWTS betting favorites.
2017 Dancing with the Stars Odds
Odds to Win Dancing with the Stars Season 24 courtesy of SportsBettingDime.com
Simone Biles: 3/1
Biles’ Olympic teammate Laurie Hernandez won season 23 and Beijing gold medalist Shawn Johnson won way back in Season 8. This time, the most decorated gymnast in America is making her stamp. Given the great history of gymnasts on DWTS, and the pure fact that Biles is as amazing as a gymnast as there has ever been, she entered as the deserving favorite as a result.
Normani Kordei: 6/1
The Fifth Harmony member has a head-start on the rest of the contestants. Kordei is already a gifted dancer and has impressed America with a handful of solo dance videos. It’s not quite the type of dancing we are generally used to seeing on Dancing with the Stars, but being as talented as she is, there is no reason she shouldn’t be able to catch on quickly.
Heather Morris: 8/1
Morris is most famous for her role in Glee, but she made her start on So You Think You Can Dance, and then as a backup dancer for Beyonce. As we have witnessed on Glee, she’s an exceptionally gifted and adaptable dancer.
Nancy Kerrigan: 9/1
Nancy Kerrigan is most known for being knee-capped by a figure skating rival. Regardless of the incident, Kerrigan is still one of the most talented figure skaters America has ever developed. Since retiring from competitive skating, she’s performed in a variety of ice shows. Fortunately for her, she has the athleticism and coordination to do extremely well on DWTS.
Rashad Jennings: 10/1
Like gymnasts, NFL players have usually done pretty well on DWTS. Let’s see what Rashad Jennings can do this season. We don’t know how well he dances, but he definitely is very agile, mobile and quick with his feet.
Nick Viall: 12/1
Nick Viall is a reality TV veteran, previously making a turn as the title bachelor on the aptly-titled The Bachelor. Other notable achievements include being born in Milwaukee, and attending college in Milwaukee. Unfortunately for him, Dancing with the Stars will most likely extend his fifteen minutes of fame, but won’t expand any type of trophy collection he might possessed.
Bonner Bolton: 15/1
As a professional bull rider, Bonner Bolton knows how to remain composed when mounted atop a large animal. As far as dance skills go though, that remains to be seen how well he will perform.
Mr. T: 24/1
At 64 years old, Clubber Lang does not move around like he used to. Additionally, he was more of heavy hitter anyways. Don’t expect Laurence Tureaud to make it to the end, but he’ll definitely entertain us and make us laugh a few times along the way.
Charo may well be close to 100 years old, but one thing’s for sure: she’s still as high-energy and passionate as ever. She’s not exactly a favorite to win but like Mr. T, she should be quite the hit with the audience and viewers at home.
Erika Jayne: 25/1
In her 2016 hit “How Many F**ks do I give?”, Erika Jayne revealed in no undetermined terms that she does not give too many at all. This dance-pop diva’s over-the-top personality is a great fit for DWTS.
David Ross: 49/1
Ross is the first MLB player to compete on Dancing with the Stars, and he’ll be looking to do baseball proud. But he faces some pretty stiff competition and the odds are definitely against him.
Chris Kattan: 49/1
When most people think “SNL star”, the name “Chris Kattan” doesn’t generally come to mind. Nonetheless, Kattan was the mastermind behind SNL classics such as the “Gay Hitler” character and the “dagitybo” catch-phrase. It’ll be pretty astonishing if Kattan goes all the way on Dancing with the Stars.
Odds to be eliminated first on Dancing with the Stars Season 24
- Chris Kattan: 4/1
- David Ross: 4/1
- Erika Jayne: 17/3
- Charo: 17/3
- Nick Viall: 9/1
- Bonner Bolton: 23/2
- Mr. T: 19/1
- Nancy Kerrigan: 49/1
- Normani Kordei: 49/1
- Heather Morris: 99/1
- Rashad Jennings: 99/1
- Simone Biles: 99/1